September 20, 2015 | by  | in News | [ssba]

How You Like Dem Apples?

Good Rory wows us with his melons and his carrot

Last week saw the launch of VUWSAs first fruit and vegetable market hosted on campus. Held in the Tim Beaglehole Courtyard (the main courtyard), it will finally provide students with fresh fruit and vegetables at cheap prices on campus.

VUWSA’s Wellbeing and Sustainability Officer Rory Lenihan-Ikin, aka Good Rory, masterminded the new market. Lenihan-Ikin told Salient that a vege market makes perfect sense on campus. The 10,000+ students and staff at Kelburn will now be able to pick up their fresh produce on the way home, and the availability will mean students will be able to eat more healthy food.

Good Rory aims to provide services that are both sustainable and improve student wellbeing. This market does both, giving farmers a better deal than they get from supermarkets and giving students cheap, healthy produce.”

The market will have stallholders from the Wellington Region, similar to the Newtown and Willis St markets.

Students have reacted positively to the idea, with Facebook comments like this would be so much easierand “if only they had this at the start of the year.

The market will start off small on a trial basis for six weeks, but aims to become a regular, larger-scale fixture in 2016.

So avoid the hungover Sunday market trips and get your mid-week dose of vitamin C and leafy goodness.

The market will be held 2–6pm every Wednesday afternoon during the Trimester.