September 20, 2015 | by  | in Music | [ssba]

Troy Sivan—WILD

★★★★

Troye Sivan is a gay internet personality and actor from Australia who has recently been making his mark in the pop music scene. He is the type of person who calls flowers “flowies” and freaks out when pop sensations Lorde and Taylor Swift interact with him on Twitter. His first major label EP TRXYE was released last year, with lead single “Happy Little Pill” being critically acclaimed.

After months upon months of hinting about working on new music in studios via social media, Sivan is back. His new mini-album WILD acts as an introduction to his first full-length album, rumoured to be released later this year (yes, “mini-album” is what he’s calling it). WILD sees Troye hone his skills as a vocalist, lyricist, and visionary. It’s a burst of dream pop accompanied by deeply melancholy lyrics.

The title track opens the mini-album, welcoming listeners to the music experience with a backing choir and floaty synths over danceable percussion. Cutesy lyrics about a crush cement the song with a feel good flair. Upon first listen it gives a promising open to the album and is a song that’s easily listened to on repeat during a twenty-minute bus ride.

WILD features two collaborations, some of Troye’s first (his collaboration “Papercut” with Russian-German producer Zedd from earlier in the year is a worthwhile listen). The first is with Broods, a sibling duo from Nelson, on the track “EASE”. Troye and Georgia’s vocals sync together oh-so-sweetly over loud percussion laced with lighter synth. The sole production credits go to Caleb, the other half of Broods, creating a magical feel good vibe.

Tkay Maidza features on the second collaboration, “DKLA”, presumably standing for “don’t keep love anymore”, which Troye croons constantly throughout the song. Zimbabwean-born Tkay’s verse is the focal point of the song, adding a hint of speed and a dash of softness to a slow and blunt song. It’s a refreshing addition to a track that lurks in a world of harsh beauty.

WILD is consistent, with sombre, romantic lyrics, and building synth layered with captivating percussion. Troye’s musical style has undoubtedly matured from his previous release. Knowing that this is not his final release of the year is incredibly exciting. WILD is definitely the taste tester that convinces you to buy the end product. I for one can easily say that I am very gay for Troye Sivan.