Queer Coverage: Local, National, and International LGBTQIA+ News

UniQ Victoria Gains Two New Exec Members

Jak Mitchell and Char Earle have been elected to the UniQ Victoria Executive as General Members.

Elected at the group’s Inaugural General Meeting last Tuesday 13 March, the two first years are keen to apply their previous organising experience to work with the community at VUW.

The IGM received a large turn out, with seven contestants for the three available positions.

Mitchell and Earle will be sharing the First Year Representative portfolio, and the Communications Officer role will be filled by the previously acting CO, Johnny O’Hagan Brebner.

An AGM will be held in the second half of trimester two.

Critical and Financial Success for Love, Simon (Berlanti, 2018)

Since its premier at Sydney’s Mardi Gras Film Festival, Love, Simon is on track to be both a critical and commercial success.

As of 18 March 2018, the film had made back $11.5 million USD of its $17 million USD budget at the box office.

The film scored a “Certified Fresh” rating of 91% from critics on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, and a 92% rating from audiences.

Love, Simon follows the success of the gay films Call Me By Your Name (Guadagnino, 2017) and Moonlight (Jenkins, 2016), both of which were well received critically and at the box office, making back their budgets of $3.5 million USD and $1.5 million USD respectively.

Groundbreaking Queer Radio Show for Arab World

Shams Rad, a queer radio station broadcasting to the Arab world, is finding success since its launch in December 2017.

Started by activist Bouhdid Belhedi, the station is the first of its kind in the region and is currently broadcasting to 10,000 people in 15 countries.

Based in Tunisia with funding from the local Dutch Embassy, the show provides a queer discussion space without the usual presence and dominance of Imams.

Content is still restricted however, due to legal and social restrictions around queer issues in Tunisia.

Death of Lesbian Politician Sparks Protests in Brazil

The apparent assassination of Marielle Franco, a lesbian politician and activist, has lead to protests in Rio de Janeiro.

Thousands of people protested outside of the Rio de Janeiro council building as Franco’s coffin was carried inside prior to her burial on 15 March.

The assassination comes after the publication of statistics showing the LGBTQIA+ homicide and suicide rates in Brazil had increased 30% between 2016 and 2017, to a total of 445 deaths last year.

Head of Public Security Richard Nunes has affirmed that a full investigation will take place.