April 9, 2018 | by  | in Opinion Presidential Address | [ssba]

Presidential Address

Kia ora e te whānau, two bits of good news this week.

Back home in Auckland I have two cats, Tim and Duncan (named after my favourite basketball player and the GOAT Tim Duncan). They’re twin brothers, a lovely pair of tabby cats. About four and a bit months ago, Duncan disappeared. This hit the family hard, especially Tim. He would come home and meow heaps, which was very unlike him, and he seemed very depressed. “Where is Duncan?”, is what I imagine he was asking. They had been together since birth, and now everything had changed.

Well anyway, the day before I am set to fly to AKL, I get a phone call from dad. The prodigal son had returned. Mum and Dad were out walking and saw a cat that looked like Duncan, and lo and behold it was him, lost in a bush somewhere. Getting to go home and see Tim and Duncan reunited was better than any chocolate Lindt Gold bunny, even if Duncan is a bit weird and feral at the moment (he is readjusting to the domestic lifestyle).

In other good news, after VUWSA’s March on Midland a couple of weeks ago, Harrison from VUWLSS, Beth our Welfare VP, and myself were invited to speak to the president of the New Zealand Law Society. There we expressed the concerns of our students, and began a working relationship with NZLS. We look forward to seeing how this relationship develops in a positive and constructive way, and we will be attending a key interest group meeting with NZLS again soon this month. The NZLS has committed to taking the issue seriously, and are now making some important systemic and cultural change, which we will be a part of, alongside law firms from around the country. This goes to show the power of our voice when we rally together and organize to make change. All of that from one march! It almost seems easy.